Brief Bytes: You’ll be able to’t create folders in Home windows OS having CON, PRN, NUL, and so forth. because the title. It is because these folder names are reserved to be used in particular system duties. You should utilize the command immediate, or clean area code to create folders with reserved names in Home windows.
In Microsoft Home windows working system, you possibly can’t create folders which have their title from considered one of these phrases:
CON, PRN, AUX, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9.
Additionally, you possibly can’t add file extensions with these names. As an example, you possibly can’t create NUL.mp3 folder.
The reason is these keywords are reserved for some duties to be carried out by the OS. It makes use of these phrases to create folders occasionally and retailer information in them for duties associated to printing and different capabilities. We making a folder with the identical title would confuse the system.
The historical past of those reserved Home windows folder names dates again to the time when Microsoft was identified for its DOS working system. Since then, no change has been made to those names. You may’ve learn an identical story on Fossbytes, why the primary drive letter is C?
You’ll be able to nonetheless create CON, PRN folders
Though it’s exhausting to call a Home windows folder as CON or PRN instantly, a workaround is feasible. Earlier than continuing additional, I wish to inform you that Home windows additionally doesn’t permit a folder title solely comprising of a clean area.
You’ll be able to create a folder with no title or one of many reserved names utilizing a key mixture.
- Create a brand new folder, or click on the rename possibility for an current folder.
- Delete all of the textual content written within the title subject.
- Press and maintain the ALT key and kind 255 on the “Numpad”. As you enter the important thing mixture, you received’t see something typed within the title subject.
- After this, sort the specified title and press Enter. Or don’t enter any title to create a Home windows folder with no title.
The important thing mixture ALT+255 is a code used to introduce a clean area in Home windows. You might be simply including an additional invisible character to create a folder title CON or PRN.
Create CON, PRN folders utilizing the command line?
For many Home windows customers, command immediate or CMD might be the final mile answer for an issue. However it’s efficient. You should utilize the command immediate in Home windows to create folders with reserved names.
- To open CMD, proper on the Begin button and click on Command Immediate.
- Now sort the next command to create a folder title CON on the desktop (Copy the trail to your desktop):md C:CustomersfossBytesDesktopcon
- Press Enter. You’ll be able to create different reserved Home windows folder utilizing CMD. Additionally, you possibly can change the placement the place need to create the folder.
- Delete the CON folder:rd C:CustomersfossBytesDesktopcon
Though we are able to create the folder efficiently, it’s nonetheless inaccessible. Additionally, it will possibly solely be deleted utilizing the command line. I’d advocate to not use the command-line technique.
Did you discover this useful? Drop your ideas and suggestions.
Additionally Learn: What Is The Difference Between Shell, Console, And Terminal?