‘APFS disks is probably not used as bootable set up media’ is a typical error whereas making a bootable macOS installer. You possibly can repair this error in a few easy steps.
Whereas Terminal codecs the exterior disk earlier than mounting macOS, you continue to have to have it in the precise format. You want a Mac OS Prolonged Disk to make a bootable installer.
What are the totally different File System Codecs on Mac?
macOS helps three main file system codecs with sub-formats of their very own. Right here’s what every file system format stands for and what you need to use it for:
- APFS: Stands for Apple File System. That is the default file system for macOS 10.13 or later.
- APFS (Encrypted): This format encrypts the amount and you’ll safe it with a password.
- APFS (Case-Delicate): Case-Delicate formatting lets you separate folders with the identical title based mostly on higher or lower-case naming. For ex, “work” and “WORK” might be two separate folders on this format.
- APFS (Case-Delicate, Encrypted): Creates an encrypted, password protected, case-sensitive file system.
- Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled): That is the format you want to create a bootable installer. It preserved the integrity of the hierarchal file system.
- Mac OS Prolonged (Case Delicate, Journaled): Creates a case-sensitive Mac OS Prolonged disk.
- MS-DOS (FAT): You need to use this format for Home windows volumes with 32GB or much less storage.
- ExFAT: Is the best format for Home windows disks over 32GB. Permits smoother cross-platform utilization of the disk.
When will you see ‘APFS Disks Could Not Be Used As Bootable Set up Media’ error?
When making a bootable macOS installer, you may even see the ‘APFS Disks Could Not Be Used As Bootable Set up Media’ error. You possibly can see another format as a substitute of APFS based mostly on the disk you’re utilizing. The best repair is to format the disk to Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled).
Format Exterior Drive for Mac
- Plug within the exterior drive and open Disk Utilities from Highlight Search.
2. Go to View and choose Present All Units.
3. Now, Choose the Exterior disk you wish to format from the sidebar.
4. Hit Erase from the top-right nook of the disk utility menu.
5. Now, give your disk a reputation and select the specified format. Choose the Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled) format in case you’re making a bootable installer.
6. Choose Erase once more, and your disk will format to the specified file system.
Eliminate the ‘APFS Disks Could Not Be Used As Bootable Set up Media’ error. You possibly can keep it up with creating a bootable macOS installer.
Should you nonetheless see this error, attempt altering the exterior disk or shutting down your Mac and begin once more. Do tell us within the feedback in case you discover this text useful. Now we have different macOS tutorials, and lists just like the best macOS Monterey features you must attempt to what is Time Machine and how to use it.