Do you know you possibly can create a bootable macOS installer to carry an older Mac again to life? We’ll let you know easy methods to do it and issues you must know earlier than moving into it.
In the event you’re trying to clear set up macOS, there are many choices at hand. The choice to create a bootable macOS drive is helpful if you wish to downgrade to an earlier model of macOS.
Nevertheless, there are particular limits and circumstances to this too. So listed here are the issues you must know earlier than making a bootable macOS drive.
Which Mac are you able to downgrade?
This is without doubt one of the factors the place older macs have a bonus. Your Mac can downgrade again to the OS that it got here with. As an example, in case your Mac is shipped with macOS Excessive Sierra and also you’re working Monterey, you possibly can downgrade it again to Excessive Sierra.
If in case you have the newest 14 or 16-inch MacBook Professional that shipped with macOS Monterey, you can not downgrade to macOS Huge Sur. Equally, in case your Mac is shipped with Huge Sur, there’s no going again to macOS Catalina.
What do it’s worthwhile to make a Bootable macOS Drive?
You want an exterior storage drive or a pen drive with not less than 15GB of storage to create a bootable macOS drive. I used a SanDisk Extremely Twin Drive as a result of it comes with a Sort-A and a Sort-C port.
I like to recommend you employ a pen drive with Sort-A and Sort-C since you gained’t have to fret about switching between Sort-C ports on the brand new Macs and Sort-A ones on the older fashions.
Make certain to maintain this drive empty as it is going to be formatted to make it a bootable macOS drive. Apart from the pen drive, you want an web connection and a Mac first to obtain macOS. After you have these, right here’s what to do subsequent.
create a Bootable macOS Installer
1. Obtain macOS from the Mac App Retailer. Listed here are the hyperlinks to macOS Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, and High Sierra. Exit the installer after downloading.
2. Join the exterior disk you wish to flip right into a bootable macOS installer.
3. Summon Highlight with Command (⌘) + House, search and open Terminal.
4. Sort sudo within the terminal and hit House.
5. Open Finder and go to Functions.
6. Proper-click/two-finger faucet on Set up macOS Huge Sur (or every other macOS you obtain) and choose Present Bundle Contents.
7. Open Contents > Assets.
7. Drag and drop the ‘createinstallmedia‘ command into the terminal.
8. Now kind –quantity within the terminal and hit area.
9. Drag and drop the bootable drive quantity from the desktop into the Terminal.
10. Hit the return key, enter your password, kind Y, and hit return once more to create a bootable macOS drive. The terminal will erase the disk and replica the macOS installer to it.
11. Disk is now prepared, and also you’ll see it is going to be renamed Set up macOS Huge Sur.
Alter Safe Boot settings
You’ll have to change the safe boot settings on the Mac the place you’ll use this bootable macOS installer. Altering these settings will will let you boot from the installer. Right here’s easy methods to do it.
1. Shut down and restart your Mac by long-pressing and holding down the ability button. If in case you have an Intel Mac, lengthy press ⌘ + R to get startup choices.
2. Choose ‘Choices‘ and hit Proceed.
3. Choose your administrator profile and click on on Subsequent.
4. Enter your password and choose proceed
5. Choose Utilities > Startup Safety Utility from the menu bar.
6. Choose your Mac’s exhausting disk and click on Unlock.
7. Enter your Mac’s password and click on on unlock.
8. Choose Macintosh HDD and select Safety Coverage…
9. Choose Decreased Safety and test the packing containers below it and click on OK.
Set up macOS from Bootable Drive
1. Shut down your Mac and plug within the macOS bootable installer drive.
2. Begin your Mac by long-pressing and holding down the ability button. Suppose you could have an Intel Mac, lengthy press ⌘ + R to get startup choices.
3. Choose Set up macOS Huge Sur and hit Proceed.
4. Learn the phrases and circumstances and click on Agree to put in macOS from a bootable drive.
5. Unlock your Onerous disk and observe the on-screen directions to finish the set up.
That’s it. You’ve efficiently put in macOS from a bootable installer. If this text is useful, do try our different tutorials on how to set up a new Mac and how to erase all settings on Mac.