Rufus is one of the easiest ways to create bootable USB media in Home windows. Nevertheless, the software solely helps Home windows and Mac. So in case you are utilizing Linux distributions, RUFUS isn’t an possibility. However like most instruments, there are some nice Rufus options that you could attempt to convert ISO to bootable USB Media on Ubuntu or any Ubuntu or Debian-based Linux distributions.
Ubuntu and lots of major Linux distributions come preloaded with a set of important utility instruments. This consists of Startup Disk Creator, which helps to create bootable USB Linux media. On this article, let’s take a look at making a bootable USB drive in Ubuntu utilizing totally different apps.
- 1. Create Bootable USB Media in Ubuntu Using Startup Disk Creator
- 2. Create Bootable USB Media Using Unetbootin
- 3. Convert ISO to USB in Ubuntu Using ddrescue
- 4. Create Bootable USB Using Etcher On Ubuntu
- 5. Create A Bootable USB Using Popsicle (Linux Only)
- Bootable USB Media from ISO in Ubuntu Linux
1. Create Bootable USB Media in Ubuntu Utilizing Startup Disk Creator
Startup Disk Creator is a built-in software in lots of Linux Distros like Ubuntu. Right here’s how one can use it:
- Open the sprint menu. If you’re utilizing the most recent model, use the left pane to open the present purposes.
- Open the Startup Disk Creator software by typing or looking out within the search field.
- Now, you have to to pick the supply ISO file and particular machine for bootable media. When you have chosen the unsuitable machine or ISO, click on different to vary your choice.
- After verifying the ISO file, click on on Make Startup Disk to create a brand new Bootable USB startup disk in Ubuntu Linux.
- Lastly, a immediate will seem asking you to substantiate your choice. Affirm the immediate to start out the method.
2. Create Bootable USB Media Utilizing Unetbootin
In contrast to Startup Disk Creator, UNetbootin doesn’t come preinstalled within the Ubuntu Linux distribution. To put in it, first, add the official PPA, replace the repo base after which course of with putting in Unetbootin
Set up UNetbootin
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gezakovacs/ppa sudo apt-get replace sudo apt-get set up unetbootin
Now, UNetbootin will likely be put in and the bootable USB creator software will seem in your purposes record.
Utilizing UNetbootin for Ubuntu Linux
- Plug within the USB drive and Unetbootin will mechanically acknowledge it
- There are two choices to make a bootable USB – utilizing the Distribution dropdown menu or deciding on a disk picture.
Deciding on the distribution will mechanically obtain the required recordsdata for the precise distribution from the web. To put in a distribution utilizing the identical methodology.
- Choose each the distribution and the model.
- Now, select the sort as USB and choose your USB drive from beneath and click on OK.
- When you click on okay, UNetbootin will obtain the required recordsdata and set up them in your USB.
If you’re trying to create a Home windows 10 USB set up media utilizing UNetbootin, you’ll select the disk picture possibility. To take action:
- Choose disk picture and select ISO.
- Now, Browse the ISO that you simply need to make as an set up media.
- Once more, select the kind as USB and choose your USB drive. When you click on okay, UNetbootin will set up the boot media to your USB.
3. Convert ISO to USB in Ubuntu Utilizing ddrescue
That is Ubuntu we’re speaking about. The terminal is the highest software for a typical Linux person. So let’s say that we had been saving the very best for the final. That is the best strategy to convert ISO recordsdata to a USB disk in case you are keen on utilizing terminal instructions.
For starters, ddrescue is a information restoration software that may clone any storage machine. We are able to use ddrescue to transform ISO recordsdata to USB sticks.
Set up ddrescue
First issues first. You have to a working web connection to obtain and set up ddrescue. (In case you have already got it put in, you possibly can skip this step).
sudo apt replace sudo apt set up gddrescue
You have to to know the precise block machine identify (one thing like dev/sd..). To do that, use the command fdisk. Enter the next command,
sudo fdisk -l
When you enter the fdisk command, you possibly can see all of your gadgets related. Right here, you possibly can see that the block machine identify for the USB is /dev/sdb1.
You will need to confirm that the block machine identify you selected is the right one, otherwise you may find yourself with corrupt/destroyed information.
As soon as carried out, enter the command as follows:
ddrescue path/to/.iso /dev/sdx --force -D
Exchange the x and path/to/.iso along with your particular machine block identify and the trail for the iso file.
When the method is completed, you possibly can boot into your bootable Ubuntu USB stick.
4. Create Bootable USB Utilizing Etcher On Ubuntu
Balena Etcher is one other useful gizmo for making bootable USBs. What makes it particular is its velocity and wonderful UI. Additionally, it is rather simple to put in and use.
- Head over to the official Etcher web site and obtain the zip in your OS.
- Now, extract the zip utilizing the default archive supervisor on Linux. In the event you’re on Home windows, all it is advisable do is obtain the .exe file and double-click to execute it.
- After you’re carried out extracting it on Linux, right-click on the extracted app picture and click on on properties.
- Within the permission tab, discover and examine the “Enable executing as a file program” possibility.
- Double-click on the App picture to open Etcher. If nothing occurs, hearth up the terminal, head over to the listing the place the app picture is situated, and run the next command.
Exchange the x.x.xxx with the model that you’ve downloaded. For instance, balenaEtcher-1.5.116-x64.AppImage. Look ahead to a few seconds till Etcher launches and when it does, right here’s what you’ll see.
- To flash a USB drive, choose the ISO that you simply’ve downloaded.
- Choose the goal USB machine from the record of gadgets, and eventually.
- Click on on the Flash! Button.
Additionally, try our article on how to mount and unmount a USB drive on Ubuntu intimately right here!
5. Create A Bootable USB Utilizing Popsicle (Linux Solely)
Popsicle is a USB bootable media creation software that comes preinstalled in Pop!_OS. It’s a light-weight and quick USB flasher that additionally means that you can flash ISOs on a number of USB drives concurrently. As Pop!_OS is predicated on Ubuntu, you possibly can set up Popsicle on Ubuntu. To do it.
- Open the terminal and add the System76 PPA the place Popsicle resides, utilizing the next command.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:system76/pop
- Now, set up Popsicle.
sudo apt-get set up popsicle
- To flash an ISO open the Popsicle software.
- Now, click on on Select Picture and browse for the ISO that you simply need to flash.
- After deciding on the ISO, click on on Subsequent.
- Plug-in the USB drive and choose the goal machine on Popsicle.
- Lastly, click on on the Write button and anticipate 5-Quarter-hour till the flashing is finished.
- Voila! You now have a bootable USB. That was fairly simple, proper?
In the meantime, you can even try our detailed information on how to repair a corrupted sd card or pen drive right here!
Bootable USB Media from ISO in Ubuntu Linux
Now that just about sums up the required steps that you’d must do to Create a Bootable USB stick utilizing Ubuntu Linux. Moreover, in case you are nonetheless having hassle booting into the USB stick, head over to BIOS/UEFI in your machine to configure the boot settings. Lastly, as at all times, use the remark part to remind us of something that we missed. Cheers!
Additionally, try our article on how to create a Windows 10/11 bootable USB without Media Creation Tool right here!